RFE/RL's mission is to promote democratic values and institutions by reporting the news in countries where a free press is banned by the government or not fully established. Our journalists provide what many people cannot get locally: uncensored news, responsible discussion, and open debate.
From Central Europe to the Pacific, from the Baltic to the Black Sea, from Russia to South and Central Asia to the Persian Gulf, countries are struggling to overcome autocratic institutions, violations of human rights, centralized economies, ethnic and religious hostilities, regional conflicts, and controlled media. Stability -- based on democracy and free-market economies -- throughout this region is essential to global peace.
Based on the conviction that the first requirement of democracy is a well informed citizenry, and building on over a half-century of surrogate broadcasting:
- RFE/RL provides objective news, analysis, and discussion of domestic and regional issues crucial to successful democratic and free-market transformations.
- RFE/RL strengthens civil societies by projecting democratic values.
- RFE/RL combats ethnic and religious intolerance and promotes mutual understanding among peoples.
- RFE/RL provides a model for local media, assists in training to enhance media professionalism and independence, and develops partnerships with local media outlets.
- RFE/RL fosters closer ties between the countries of the region and the world's established democracies.